Summer is just over 100 days, but as we grow older it seems to slip by faster each year. In the blink of an eye, the leaves are falling and we are donning long pants and jackets. This year, why not create a summer wellness plan for you and your family to help keep you healthy and make the most of your precious time. Here are 5 tips to get you started:
1. Commit to mindful activities this summer. Unplug for a set period of time each day. Spend 30 minutes just enjoying nature, listening to music or some other pleasant activity. Focus on the present. Being mindful can help reduce stress, improve focus, increase immune function, working memory and executive decision making.
2. Stay active. Go for a hike, swim, take up a sport. Not only does walking burn off extra calories, it helps to lower disease risk and strengthen your heart, lungs and muscles. Swimming is a great non-weight bearing activity for those with chronic pain. Outdoor yoga hosted by many of our island’s organic farms or vineyards can be a fun twist on a traditional yoga class.
3. Keep hydrated! Water is a natural detoxifier and helps prevent dehydration as well as muscle fatigue. A good rule of thumb for your water intake: divide your weight in half; this is the number of ounces you should consume each day.
4. Relax and rejuvenate! Unwind with a good book or treat yourself to a massage. Enjoy a free outdoor concert at one of our many beautiful parks and beaches; take in a outdoor play or movie; dine alfresco at a restaurant with a water view!
5. Visit a local farm stand. Stock up on fresh organic produce. Support your health while supporting our local farmers.