1.First and foremost — Keep hydrated! The US Institute of Medicine recommends 12-13 eight-ounce glasses of water spread out throughout the day. Keeping your thirst quenched has multiple benefits, including helping to prevent urinary tract infections, constipation, dehydration, hemorrhoids, headaches, fatigue and of course, overheating.
2. Reduce your sodium intake to avoid swelling and dehydration.
3. Eat a balanced diet filled with cool, fresh organic summer fruits, vegetables and salads. Check out Environmental Working Group’s website for clean produce tips.
5. Take a dip! Swimming not only helps you escape the heat, but offers an opportunity for some prenatal exercise and helps alleviate pressure on the back and other muscles and joints. Remember, if you feel anything unusual such as sharp pains, dizziness, or shortness of breath to cease swimming and call your practitioner.
6. Reduce your toxic load to you and your baby — use essential oils for summer skin care and for warding off pesky summer bugs.
7. Get adjusted! Recent studies suggest that acetaminophen taken for pain during pregnancy may increase risk of hyperactivity in children. Gentle chiropractic care provides a non-invasive means of relieving many pregnancy-related aches and pains like sciatica, headaches, back pain and carpal tunnel syndrome and can help ready the body for delivery. For those experiencing discomfort due to a baby in breech position, a chiropractic modality called the Webster technique, can gently help the baby move into proper heads-down position, relieving maternal pain and helping facilitate your baby’s grand entrance into the outside world. In addition, studies show that chiropractic can significantly reduce the length of labor by up to 50%.
10. Get plenty of rest. Your little one will be here before you know it –you’ll be busier than you ever thought possible! Enjoy this special time in your life!
We love working with expecting moms! Call our office to learn how prenatal chiropractic and massage can help you achieve a healthy, comfortable pregnancy! 631.265.1223.